Launched by the DuPage County Health Department in 2009, the RxBOX program offers residents a safe, easy way to drop off unwanted medications that might otherwise have been misused or gone to waterways and landfills. Unwanted medicine can be dropped off at any DuPage County RxBOX location.
Proper disposal of unused medications protects the environment and saves lives. Bring your expired and unused medications to an RxBOX location that is convenient for you. The medications will then be incinerated in collaboration with the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency using state-of-the-art technology.
- Bring household medication including over-the-counter, prescription medications, ointments and liquid medications that are expired or no longer wanted.
- Also drop off asthma inhalers.
- You can bring medications as they are in their original containers or, for spill-free disposal, place the pills or liquid medication bottles in a zipper top plastic bag.
- Cross off any personal information on the label or remove them to reduce concerns about personal identification information.
- As an alternative, you may empty pills directly into a zipper top plastic bag to further protect your personal information and dispose or recycle the empty pill bottle at home.
- Then, deposit your medications in the collection container marked "RxBOX" in a participating law enforcement facility.
Items Not Accepted
The following items are not accepted in the drop-box:
- Household chemical waste; these items need to be disposed of using other methods
- Medical waste
- Radioactive medicines
- Sharps or needles, especially epinephrine pens. View the Sharps Disposal at Home flyer (PDF) for information on how to dispose of sharps at home safely and easily.
Add a RxBOX to Your Facility
If you are a member of law enforcement who is interested in adding an RxBOX to your facility, please contact us using the following form.