Parent Education & Prevention Resources
Parents play an important role in preventing youth substance use, as they have a strong influence on a young person’s decision to avoid substance use. View resources for parents:
- Prevention Leadership Team (PLT) - View this list of resources for parents, including warning signs for teen drug use, information about various drugs, and a guide on talking to teens about drugs. To join the coalition, contact the PLT.
- Glenbard Parent Series - The Glenbard Parent Series engages top experts, parents and school staff to become proactive and informed in pursuit of the mutual goal to strengthen our communities. Programs are free and open to the public.
- Hidden in Plain Sight - View a teen’s room for clues that might indicate drug use, and learn what items are commonly used to hide drug use. This website also offers tips on how to talk with your teen, and how to empower your teen with refusal skills.
- Reality Illinois - Youth engagement in after school programs are proven to reduce youth substance use. Public and private high school students from across DuPage County schools are welcome to participate in Reality, which is committed to positive youth development, substance use prevention, and more. Students gain leadership skills by working for policy changes that promote healthy lifestyle behaviors, hear from guest speakers, and plan events. For more information, email Gilda Ross, Glenbard Student and Community Projects Coordinator.
- First Step - First Step can help families take the first step in preventing and addressing drug use with their children by providing them with an opportunity to verify if a suspicious substance is actually a drug without the fear of legal action, anonymously, and free of charge.
- Spotting Drugs and Paraphernalia - Learn what heroin looks like, different ways heroin is packaged and sold, and common heroin paraphernalia.