Reduce Access to Drugs
- Expand RxBox and other drug take back programs.
- Provide community education on importance of disposing medications properly.
Provide education for patients on importance of disposing properly of medications and engaging hospice providers for the same.
Improve access to portable drug disposal materials, with a focus on homebound and other special
- Provide education or technical assistance to healthcare organizations on how to set-up take back programs.
- Reduce supply of illicit drugs through law enforcement.
- Support legal action regarding improper opioid prescribing recommendations.
Reduce Opioid Use & Misuse
- Educate consumers about identifying opioid medications and advocating for alternatives
- Increase use of non-opioid treatment options
- Increase use of Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (PDMP) by prescribers in DuPage County
- Promote consistent safe prescribing messages and policies used by healthcare providers and health systems
- Promote and provide safe prescriber training
- Reduce the number of opiates prescribed
Increase Overdose Response
- Communication campaign to increase awareness of 911 Good Samaritan Law and provision of treatment and harm reduction resources
- Expand overdose follow-up provided by hospitals, fire departments, police departments, and social workers
- Make naloxone more accessible to bystanders and those most at-risk for overdose by increasing access in the community
- Sustain Narcan programs for first responders
Integrated Mental Health & Substance Use Disorder Treatment and Recovery
- Coordinate with criminal justice system partners to increase screening and referral to treatment (probation and specialty courts)
- Increase availability of Medication-Assisted Recovery
- Increase primary care and other healthcare provider referral to treatment
- Increase treatment community capacity
- Promote integration of mental health and substance use disorder treatment
- Promote job training and workforce development programs supporting those in recovery
- Encourage housing supportive of substance use recovery efforts
Substance Use Prevention & Education
- Enhance and promote prevention efforts (i.e. evidence-based curriculum for youth and messaging for general population)
- Promote substance use disorder stigma reduction campaigns
- Support prevention education and other initiatives regarding non-opioid (marijuana, stimulants, etc.)
substances among youth and young adults.